A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by your dentist at your initial dental visit. At regular check-up exams, your dentist and hygienist will include the following:
- 1Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- 2Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- 3Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- 4Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- 5Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
- 6Examination of your Jaw joint and muscles: Proper examination of your jaw joint and muscles is necessary to rule out any signs or symptoms of Temporomandibular joint disorder and bite disease.